Website Mayor's Office for International Affairs
About the Office:
The Mayor’s Office for International Affairs serves as the liaison between the City and New York City’s international community, which includes 193 Permanent Missions, 115 Consulates and more than 70 trade commissions, and the headquarters of the United Nations. The Office functions as a global platform from which the City promotes its goals for a more just and equitable society, showcases the diversity of New Yorkers and shares best practices with the world. The Office also works to foster positive relations and to encourage collaboration between the international community and New York City’s agencies and local neighborhoods.
About the Role:
The Policy and Communications Advisor is a key member of the three-person Communications and Policy team that works to amplify the work of the Mayor’s Office for International Affairs on behalf of New York City, and to advocate for the City’s fairness agenda on the global stage. The Policy Communications Advisor will be responsible for creating communications products to share the policies, practices and priorities of New York City to a wide audience including New Yorkers, the United Nations and diplomatic community, and civil society, and for identifying strategic opportunities for NYC engagement in relevant international policy areas and events.
The Policy and Communications Advisor will report to the Deputy Commissioner for Policy and Communications, and collaborate with colleagues throughout the office and interact with partners across City government and external organizations as necessary. This is an exciting opportunity for an energetic candidate interested in helping to shape and drive the conversation around growing city participation in diplomacy and international affairs.
– Serve as editor and lead writer for the office Medium account to showcase the programs of the office, best practices of partner agencies, and NYC’s leadership role in city diplomacy
– Draft and edit content including talking points and speeches for the Commissioner, op-eds, letters to the editor, policy papers, and office publications
– Support the Communications functions of the team as necessary, including assistance with social media, photos, and news clips
Policy Research, Analysis, and Advocacy (40%):
– Conduct policy research and analysis across a range of areas to inform the activities and programs of the office, and to support the work of City partners as needed
– Proactively identify expanded and new opportunities for NYC engagement in timely and topical global issues and events
– Serve as contact point for key actors in international policy relevant to NYC’s fairness agenda, and attend meetings and summarize discussion points for colleagues
– Bachelor’s degree in related field
– 3-5 years of experience in journalism, communications, public policy, or international relations
– Track record of producing clear and compelling content on deadline for diverse audiences, required
– Excellent writing, editing, analysis, and verbal communications skills
– Knowledge and familiarity with NYC government and/or international affairs preferred
– Ability to work independently and display an entrepreneurial spirit in a highly collaborative
– Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
Commensurate with experience
Salary Range $56,000-$65,000
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Candidate Application
Candidates under serious consideration will be asked to complete a writing test
New York City Residency Is Required Within 90 Days of Appointment.
The City of New York and the Office of the Mayor are Equal Opportunity Employers.
For current job opportunities in the NYC Mayor’s Office visit: Office of the Mayor Jobs
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to access job openings or apply for a job on this site as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by contacting Human Resources at
To apply for this job please visit a002-oom03.nyc.gov.