Website NYC Dept. of Education
Position Summary: The Policy Analyst will support the Senior Advisor, Education in the Office of the First Deputy Mayor, with project management, and analytical and technical assistance for planning, coordinating, and implementing major Department of Education and interagency education initiatives. This position combines strong analytical skills with excellent writing, dynamic presentations, and strong public communications. Performs related work.
Reports to: Senior Advisor, Education
Direct Reports: N/A
Key Relationships: First Deputy Mayor’s Office, Office of the Chancellor staff, DOE executive staff, other City agencies, external stakeholders
- Support the implementation of major education policy initiatives through data analysis, policy research, and written reports, and serve as a liaison with Office of the Chancellor staff, DOE executive staff, Mayor’s office, other City agencies, and key stakeholders
- Liaise with key DOE divisions and departments and provide project management assistance, including developing and maintaining project plans, coordinating project elements, reviewing work products, and ensuring efficient progress on implementation of policy.
- Help organize and coordinate interagency working groups.
- Serve as a liaison with various City oversight entities, including the Office of the Mayor, the Mayor’s Office of Operations, Office of the Corporation Counsel, and the Office of Management and Budget.
- Conduct policy research and analysis on local and national best practices and emerging policy issues, identifying gaps and proposing recommendations.
- Prepare briefings, memoranda, presentations, charts, and graphs to assist senior staff in analyzing salient education issues.
- Monitor and report on the status of the implementation of major education initiatives.
- Support the senior advisor, Education with scheduling, preparing for meetings, and meeting follow-up.
- Resolve and/or escalate issues as needed
A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and three years of professional experience in policy analysis or program management.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency in data analytics tools.
- Ability to perform independent, research and analysis of education policy issues.
- Ability to troubleshoot, problem-solve, and anticipate issues needing resolution.
- Ability to think creatively; willingness to consider new approaches to address a wide range of analytic questions.
- Ability to provide constructive feedback to others on their research and analytic work.
- Ability to develop concise and powerful research summaries and presentations.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in dealing with education and non-education personnel, internal and external to the DOE.
- Strong attention to detail and extremely well organized, with the ability to meet frequent and changing deadlines.
- Excellent time management and multitasking skills, including the ability to take initiative, prioritize duties, and work independently.
- Strong presentation skills, including presentation design.
- Master’s degree in education, public administration, or a related field.
- Ability to translate broad policy guidelines into actionable implementation plans.
- Ability to work on a number of projects simultaneously.
- An understanding of New York City’s operational agencies.
- Experience or working knowledge of the public sector and/or interest in public education.
- Excellent problem-solving skills; a clear and logical thought process for analysis and programming.
- Experience in mediating among groups with competing perspectives, overseeing and improving the operational efficiency of complicated organizations, and pioneering innovative solutions to intricate problems.
- Excellent analytical skills; experience gathering, analyzing, and interpreting data.
- Internal candidates preferred.
(Internal candidates who are selected for this position and who currently hold comparable or less senior positions within the DOE will not make less than their current salary.)
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
NOTE: The filling of all positions is subject to budget availability and/or grant funding.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, unemployment status, caregiver status, consumer credit history, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. For more information, please refer to the DOE Non-Discrimination Policy.
Job LocationNEW YORK, New York, United States
To apply for this job please visit nycdoe.silkroad.com.