Website NYC Department of Education
What You’ll Do
The Communications Associate will use strong communication skills to support the Alternative Certification team’s ambitious goals to support alternative certification program participants to be effective teachers in New York City’s public schools. Reporting to the Program Manager, the Communications Associate will help ensure that alt-cert program participants, staff, and other stakeholders have an exceptional experience with the DOE’s two alternative certification programs. These programs are: NYC Teaching Fellows and NYC Teaching Collaborative. Specific responsibilities may include:
- Drafting key messages and creating messaging around the program brands
- Providing strong customer service and polished communications to thousands of potential applicants and current enrollees, to ensure they have positive program experiences
- Design, refine and lead implementation of a communications plan that is robust, effective, and data-driven
- Collaborating with members of the alt-cert team, as well as the Director of Alternative Certification and Directors of the Recruitment, Training, and Selection and Enrollment teams to ensure the innovative and ambitious changes we’re consistently making to improve our programs are communicated clearly and effectively to all candidates
- Supporting program operations to meet program goals, from ensuring new teachers are fully certified to planning a Welcome Event for over 1,000 pre-service teachers, speakers, and NYC DOE senior leadership
We expect the Communications Associate to:
- Deliver crisp, clean messages. Whether in writing or on the phone, your communications are articulate and concise. You understand your audience and know how to deliver inspiring messages and tough news with ease and tactful finesse.
- Invest and influence others. You’re able to work one on one and across teams to align stakeholders to ambitious outcomes.
- Problem solving (and finding) mindset. Effectively articulates and recognizes important trends while offering effective solutions for the team.
- Embrace a fast-moving organization. Deadlines, changing priorities and new projects don’t overwhelm you. Instead, they inspire you to rise to the occasion.
- Plan and execute smooth operations. Your planning will be the backbone of an efficient and productive program. The team will look to you to establish systems, develop project plans, and support implementation.
- Be organized and detail-oriented. Highly organized with the ability to independently manage tasks/projects while prioritizing team’s goals.
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties described above; or
- High school graduation or equivalent and six years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties as described above; or
- Education and/or experience, which is equivalent to “1” or “2” However, all candidates must have at least one year of experience as described in “1” above.
Additional preferred qualifications include:
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication, and teamwork skills, including the ability to handle difficult conversations and invest a variety of audiences in your recommendations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Evidence of working successfully in teams or cooperative settings
- Strong skills in time management, including the ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced work environment
- A positive outlook, flexibility, and sense of possibility in stressful situations
- An ability to execute on projects and meet deadlines with quality work
- Ability to learn new computer systems quickly
- Excellent computer skills including the Microsoft Office suite
- Experience in the education sector (a plus)
- Passion for improving education outcomes and a belief that all students can succeed
TO APPLY: Please send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
To apply for this job please visit docs.google.com.